8 Wastes – TIMWOODS Template
Waste Walk Template
The TIMWOODS acronym stands for Transport, Inventory, Motion, Waiting, Over-processing, Over-production, Defects, and Skills. These are known as the “8 Wastes” in Lean Six Sigma, which is a methodology for improving efficiency and eliminating waste in business processes. A waste walk is a way of identifying these wastes in a process by physically observing and analyzing the process.
Using the TIMWOODS waste walk identification sheet can help you to identify potential wastes and the types of wastes that need to be addressed in your processes. The sheet comes pre-made with the 8 wastes listed, so you can use it to guide your observations and identify any areas where waste is occurring.
Download our Free Microsoft Word Lean Six Sigma 8 Wastes (TIMWOODS) waste walk identification sheet and identify potential wastes and the types of wastes in your processes that need to be addressed. This template comes pre-made with the TIMWOODS 8 wastes: Transport, Inventory, Motion, Waiting, Over-processing, Over-Production, Defects and Skills.
This can be used by handing out to process operators to identify wastes and issues with the current process to be addressed, making the processes more lean and efficient.
Learn more about the 8 Wastes waste walk sheet by clicking here.
Why conduct a waste walk
The TIMWOODS 8 wastes waste walk is an extremely effective tool for identifying and eliminating waste in any process. Organizations that use the TIMWOODS methodology can reap the following benefits:
- Improved efficiency: Organizations can improve their operations’ efficiency and productivity by identifying and eliminating waste in processes.
- Increased profitability: Organizations can reduce costs and increase profitability by reducing waste and increasing efficiency.
- Better quality: Organizations can improve the quality of their products and services by identifying and eliminating waste, resulting in increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Increased innovation: Organizations can foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement by constantly seeking out and eliminating waste.
- Improved morale: By involving employees in the waste elimination process and giving them a voice in decision-making, organisations can improve employee morale and engagement.
- Better collaboration: The waste walk process necessitates cross-departmental collaboration and teamwork, resulting in improved communication and cooperation.
- Increased sustainability: By reducing waste, businesses can reduce their environmental impact and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Other common names for this template include: Timwood, Timwoods Waste, Tim Woods Lean, 8 Wastes Template and Timwoods 8 wastes
This template is a simple word document that comes with the standard 8 process related wastes as sections including: